AirPods are an excellent choice when it comes to wireless earbuds. With exceptional sound quality, these fellas have captured the market tremendously.
But things can get a bit tricky if you want to adjust their volume. Many people find it hard to figure it how to control volume since the gadget does not have any buttons or dials.
The good news is that the popular AirPods come with more than one way to control volume. Yes, this might surprise you, but Apple makes sure there is a volume-changing option that suits most users.
So if you’ve been wondering how you can increase volume on your AirPods, you’re in the right place. Read this post to learn how to control the volume of your AirPods in different ways.
Table of Contents
How Can You Adjust the Volume on AirPods?
You can control your AirPods through Siri commands, AirPods gestures, and AirPod tap controls. In addition, you have two options for AirPods volume control.
The first option includes Siri commands for increasing or decreasing the AirPods volume.
On the other hand, you can change the volume by using your iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, or Mac.
Configure Device Settings to Use Siri
Taking help from Siri to control the volume for your AirPods and AirPods Pro is a great idea. It can save time and energy. First, however, you need to adjust your device settings to use Siri for AirPods volume control.
In addition, you must keep your iPhone connected to your AirPods before you adjust the settings. Here’s how you can do it:
- Open Settings on your iPad or iPhone.
- Select Bluetooth.
- Search for your AirPods in the paired devices list.
- Then you may tap the info icon present on the right side.
- Find your AirPods in the list of paired devices, and tap on the info icon to the right.
- Next, tap Left or Right under the Double-Tap On AirPod.
- Now, you must choose Siri from the possible functions list.
Double-Tap Your AirPods and AirPods 2 to Use Siri for Volume Controls
Once you have adjusted your settings, you can use Siri to control the volume of your AirPods. Then, all you have to do is double-tap your AirPods, and you are good to go.
Next, you may say, “Turn the volume up” or “Turn the volume down.”
In addition, Siri is smart enough to increase or decrease your AirPods’ maximum volume to a specific percentage you may like.
For instance, you can say, “Increase the volume to 30 percent.” Your AI assistant will get the job done for you as soon as you command it.
It will take you a while to discover the optimal volume level you genuinely enjoy. Till then, keep on experimenting.
Control AirPods 3 and AirPods Pro Volume with ‘Hey Siri’
You may enjoy customizing the double-tap feature for your second-generation AirPods and first-generation AirPods. However, it is not possible with AirPods 3 and AirPods Pro. This is because the Force Sensor on the third-generation AirPods and AirPods Pro stem comes pre-configured with all Siri command options.
However, you can ask Siri to increase or decrease the volume by using your voice only. For instance, you may say, “Hey Siri” to activate Siri, and then ask for the volume to be lowered or raised.
Moreover, if you want to use Siri without calling out “Hey Siri,” here’s what you can do:
- First, press and hold your AirPods Force Sensor to activate Siri.
- Then you may say something as, “Raise volume by 10 percent” or “Lower the volume.”
Now, you’ve learned how to adjust the volume by using Siri. But, if you are interested in changing the volume using the device your music is playing on, continue reading further.
Use the Volume Slider from Control Center to Adjust Volume on AirPods
If you are in a quiet place where everyone’s busy with their work, you might not want to disturb them by commanding Siri. Instead, you can use your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch to control the volume in such situations.
Follow these steps to increase or decrease the volume on your AirPods, second-generation AirPods, AirPods 3, and AirPods Pro:
- Swipe down from the upper-right corner of your screen, and open Control Center.
- Next, you may swipe up from the bottom of your iPhone display.
- Now drag the volume slider up or down to increase or decrease your AirPods’ Volume.
- However, if your iPhone is on the Lock screen mode, you can go to the Notification center and drag the volume slider left or right to control your AirPods’ volume.
Use Your Device’s Volume Buttons to Adjust Volume
Another easy way to adjust your AirPods’ volume is to use your device’s volume buttons.
If you are stuck in a place where you can not speak loud enough for Siri to hear, press the volume button down to decrease the volume. Similarly, press the volume button up to increase the sound level.
This feature might also work if you scene your iPhone screen to Apple Tv.
Use Your Apple Watch to Control AirPods’ Volume
Now, what if you use your Apple watch to stream your favorite music?
To your delight, you can use your Apple Watch to control the volume on AirPods Pro.
Whether you play music from an iPhone paired with your Apple watch or from your smartwatch directly, here’s what you can do to control the AirPods volume
- Open the Home screen and tap the Now Playing icon.
- Next, you may navigate to the Now Playing screen.
- Tap the volume icon and increase or decrease the volume as per preference.
You can also do this by pressing the digital crown.
Use Your Mac to Increase or Decrease the Volume on AirPods
You can also change the volume for your AirPod if they are connected to Mac. You can use your Mac’s keyboard keys or click the volume icon from the Menu Bar to drag the volume slider down or up.
If you do not have a volume button in the Menu bar, you can use System Preferences. Follow these steps:
- Click the Apple Menu present on your Mac’s Manu bar.
- Click System Preferences.
- Select Sound.
- Choose Output.
- Now you may select the AirPods connected with your Mac from the list.
- Click the box beside Show volume in the menu bar from the bottom of your window. You will find this option under the volume bar.
How to Make Your AirPods Sound Louder?
You might get annoyed if you can’t make your AirPods Pro as loud as you like. However, you must be wondering if the volume is so low and what you can do to fix this problem.
Luckily, there are several reasons your AirPods are not loud enough. You can try out the following methods to fix the issue:
Clean Up Your AirPods
Human ears tend to be waxy. This wax is beneficial for us. However, it is not so good for your AirPods.
Because if your AirPods get ear wax accumulated in them, they will produce low sound. In addition, you don’t need to see a significant amount of wax in your AirPods before you decide to clean them up.
Yes, even a tiny quantity of ear wax is enough to block the sound. To fix the issue, you can take a clean lint-free cloth or a clean toothbrush to clean your AirPods. This will get any junk, debris, or ear wax out of your AirPods and allow you to enjoy music as loud as you want.
However, you must avoid using anything wet as moisture can damage your AirPods. Moreover, do not use a toothpick or sharp object to poke your AirPods speaker mesh.
Calibrate Your iPhone with AirPods
There is a possibility that your AirPods and iPhone are not in synchronization to understand what a “full volume” means. In other words, you may say your iPhone and AirPods require calibrating.
Here’s what you can do to fix the problem
- Plug your AirPods in your ears and start streaming music.
- Turn the volume on your iPhone down using the volume keys. Your AirPods should be silent at this point.
- To access the Control Panel, swipe down from the top-right corner of your iPhone and tap the Bluetooth icon.
- To disable Bluetooth, swipe down from the top-right corner of your iPhone to reveal the Control Panel and press the Bluetooth button. Keep your AirPods in your ears at all times.
- Start listening to music through your iPhone’s speakers this time. Turn the volume all the way down on your iPhone using the volume buttons.
- To reconnect your AirPods, launch the Settings app, tap “Bluetooth,” and then “AirPods.”
- Now, replay your music while adjusting the volume as necessary.
Check the Sound Settings in the Music App
Your AirPods’ settings may be incorrect if their sound is too low when listening to music on the Music app. However, you can fix this by following a few easy steps:
- Open the Settings application.
- Select “Music.”
- Ensure that the EQ is turned off. If it’s on, tap on “EQ” and then press “Off” to turn it off.
- Next, you may check if the Volume Limit is turned off while you’re still on the Music settings screen. If you find it on, you may tap “Volume Limit” and then slide the volume to the right to disable it.
Ensure Equal Volume for Both Ears
If you find one ear constantly Louder Than The Other, the volume in one ear may be suppressed by an accessibility option on the iPhone. To ensure both your ears get the same volume; you can follow these steps:
On your iPhone with iOS 13 or later:
- Launch the Settings app.
- Click Accessibility.
- Tap “Audio/Visual” under the Hearing section.
- Check that the left/right slider under “BALANCE” is balanced with the middle button. Please return it to the middle if it has slipped to the right or left.
AirPods make it easier to stream music if you are on the go. These earbuds are the best choice with more than one way to adjust the volume.
You can use Siri to increase or decrease the volume on your AirPods; this makes it possible for you to stay completely hands-free. However, if you’re in a situation where you can use your voice, try using the device volume controls option. No matter how you choose to control the volume, AirPods strive to make your life more convenient.