AirDrop – a built-in feature you may find in iPhone, iPad, Mac, and iPod Touch. This incredible technology allows you to transfer data between AirDrop-supported devices quickly.
For instance, if you want to share contacts or photos from your iPhone to iPad, all you need to do is AirDrop them. Or maybe you would like to share music with your friend on her iPad, just AirDrop files from your iPhone, and you are good to go.
However, you may run into problems when using AirDrop a few times. Such as, you may find it difficult to transfer photos, videos, or a file from one iPhone to an iPad or other iOS devices with the message ‘ AirDrop Not Working’.
This can result from either your network problem, a software bug, or system incompatibility.
If you do not know how to AirDrop from iPhone to iPad, or can not resolve your AirDrop issues, do not worry. Instead, read this article to understand how you can use AirDrop to share files between iPhone and iPad using AirDrop and fix any issue you may encounter.
How Can You Use AirDrop?
Using AirDrop to transfer files is as easy as you think. But there are a few variations for using it on different iOS devices.
So, follow these steps according to your device:
On Your iPhone 11 or Later
- Open any app.
- Tap the Share button.
- If you want to share a photo from your iPhone Photos app, you can select multiple photos by swiping left or right.
- Tap the AirDrop button.
- If your friend or the person you want to share files with also has an iPhone 11 or a later model, you may point your iPhone in the direction of the other iPhone.
- At the top of the screen, tap the user’s profile image.
On Your iPhone XS or Earlier, iPad, or iPod touch
Like iPhone 11 or the later iPhone version, the steps to use AirDrop are pretty similar to using them on older versions. However, there are a few differences, such as:
- Open any app on your screen.
- Tap the Share button.
- If you want to share a photo from your iPhone Photos app, you can select multiple photos if you swipe left or right.
- Tap AirDrop button.
- Select the AirDrop user with whom you want to share.
You may also use AirDrop to share photos or files across other Apple devices. There are several nearby Apple devices that you can share with if the AirDrop button has a red numbered badge
Simple tap the AirDrop button, then tap the person you’d like to share something with
You’ll see an image with the name of the person you’re sharing content with if their mobile number is in your Contacts. If they aren’t in your Contacts, you’ll only see their name without an image.
What to Do if AirDrop is Not working on iPhone to iPad?
There are several reasons AirDrop may not work on your iPhone or iPad. But we have listed some of the most common AirDrop Issues for you.
You can try every troubleshooting method and see which one works out for you.
Reset Your Network Settings
Often, the problem can be as small as a network connection glitch.
To fix AirDrop when it does not work, you can try to reset the Network Settings on your iPhone or iPad. To reset your Network Settings, follow these instructions:
- From your iPhone or iPad, launch the Settings app.
- Tap General Tab.
- Select the Reset menu.
- Select Reset Network Settings.
Hard Reset Your Apple Devices
The easiest and most effective way to fix ‘AirDrop Not Working’ is hard resetting your Apple devices.
To force restart your iPhone or iPad, all you have to do is press the Home and Power buttons simultaneously. Then, keep holding both the buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears on your screen.
If you have an old version of the iPhone, you may have to reset your device hard differently.
Instead of the Home and Power buttons, press and hold the Home and Volume button simultaneously to Force Restart your iPhone or iPad.
Once you have restarted your Apple device, you may try to transfer photos or files via AirDrop. Your problem should have been resolved after establishing a proper connection.
Toggle Your Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
Bluetooth and Wi-Fi play an essential role in enabling AirDrop to work correctly.
However, if any of these options are interrupted or disabled, this will lead to ‘AirDrop Not Working On iPhone/iPad’.
To fix this issue, you can try to toggle your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Here are the instructions you need to follow:
- From your home screen, open the Settings app.
- Tap Wi-Fi settings.
- Toggle your Wi-Fi off and turn it on.
- Repeat the same process with Bluetooth. Tap Bluetooth settings.
- Toggle Bluetooth off and then turn it on.
Toggling your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth can resolve your AirDrop not working issue, as restarting them will remove any glitch in the Bluetooth and internet connection.
If you have Personal Hotspot on, make sure you turn it off.
It would help if you also kept an eye out that the device you are sharing data with has its Hotspot turned off.
Keep your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on only when using AirDrop; otherwise, it may not work.
Update Your iOS Devices
You may be facing issues of your AirDrop not working on your iPhone/Ipad simply because they are operating an older or corrupted software version.
You can fix this problem by updating your iOS device to the newest software version.
This will make your iOS operating system free from bugs and provide new features to you as a bonus.
Here’s how you can update your iPhone/iPad:
- Before you start, ensure that you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your Mac.
- Open iTunes and connect your iPhone/iPad to your Mac.
- Navigate to the Device tab and head towards the Summary section.
- Click on Check for Update button.
- Press the Update and Download button.
- Tap on Agree to install the new iOS version.
- To continue the update process, you may need to provide your Passcode on your iPhone or iPad.
Once you have updated your Apple device with the latest iOS operating system, try transferring files using AirDrop.
It must work smoothly now; if it doesn’t, we still have more ways you can try out to solve this matter.
Adjust AirDrop Settings
If your device is having trouble using AirDrop, you may need to make specific changes in the AirDrop settings. For instance, make the device visible to Everyone if you have selected the Contacts Only option.
This is because there is a possibility that AirDrop is not working as it can detect or connect to a particular device to receive photos or transfer any file.
To make the necessary adjustments, here is what you need to do:
On Your iPhone
- From your home screen, open Settings.
- Tap the General tab.
- Select AirDrop.
- Now, choose the options Everyone.
On Your Mac
- Open the Finder window.
- Navigate to AirDrop settings.
- Tap on “Allow me to be discovered by”
- Select Everyone.
After you adjust AirDrop settings, AirDrop should work properly on all your Apple devices, be it your Macbook pro, your iPod touch, or a Macbook air.
Try Using an iOS Data Transfer Tool to Transfer files
If none of the troubleshooting methods have helped you fix your AirDrop not working issue, try using EaseUS MobiMover.
It is a third-party iOS data transfer utility that can help you share all your files, photos, videos, music, etc. from one device to another.
To use EaseUS MobiMover, follow these instructions:
- First, download and install EaseUS MobiMover on your Mac or PC.
- Then, connect your iPad or iPhone to your Mac or PC.
- Launch EaseUS MobiMover.
- Navigate to Pictures and then Photos.
- Select the photos or albums you want to transfer from one iOS device to another.
- Choose the option ‘To another Phone’ to start the transferring process.
- Once the process is finished, check the target device to see all your shared data from the Photos app.
Contact Apple Support for Your iOS Device
After you have tried several methods to resolve your AirDrop not working problem, the last option is to contact Apple Support.
The problem could be out of your hands, such as a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth hardware glitch.
You may take your iOS devices to your local Apple to seek expert advice.
The professionals will get your problem sorted out and enable AirDrop to quickly work on your iOS devices.
An airDrop is an excellent option for sharing files and data between iOS devices. However, the technology may not work smoothly due to a few reasons.
You can try all mentioned troubleshooting methods to overcome your problem. AirDrop connectivity will be restored most likely from one of these various solutions.
If still, AirDrop does not work on your Apple devices, you can try using EaseUS MobiMover as an excellent third-party sharing application. The application may not operate as similar to AirDrop but can conveniently help you share all your data and files from one device to another.