The Apple Watch updates are smaller than other Apple devices, but they sometimes take longer than you expect. Therefore, wait if you think you are facing the Apple Watch update stuck issue.
However, if the Apple Watch update stuck issue keeps annoying you after waiting for hours, you can try these methods to fix Apple Watch stuck update.
Table of Contents
How Can You Fix Stuck Apple Watch Update?
According to a large group of Apple Watch users, you have to wait and see if the update is complete. It’s because when you decide to go for the WatchOS update on Apple Watch Sport and Apple Watch Edition, the reviews might tell you something different.
The latest version of WatchOS usually takes longer to download. Besides, if you want to update the Apple Watch right after the launch, get ready to face an enormous delay.
The majority of the users wait for the newest WatchOS update. That’s when the Apple servers receive a sea of requests. Therefore, it takes hours to download a simple WatchOS update file.
Besides, the best practice is to download the latest WatchOS overnight.
Other than that, if your Apple Watch is stuck on an update that has gone serious, it’s time to apply some troubleshooting tips.
What to Do if Apple Watch Update is Taking Forever?
Here are some methods to resolve the issue:
Check WiFi and Bluetooth
Your Apple Watch requires a stable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connection for the update. Therefore, let’s first check the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on your iPhone and then on your Apple Watch.
Enable Wi-Fi & Bluetooth on iPhone
- Swipe down from the screen’s top-right corner to open the Control Center. If your iPhone uses Touch ID, swipe up from the bottom of the screen.
- See if the WiFi and Bluetooth icons are highlighted. If not, tap each of the icons one by one.
Enable WiFi and Bluetooth on the Apple Watch
- Gently press the Digital Crown button to open Settings.
- Go to the WiFi and Bluetooth options one by one.
- Turn on the switch of WiFi as well as Bluetooth if they are off.
After checking these options, let’s move to the next step.
Connect Your Apple Watch to Magnetic Charger
It’s recommended that the Apple Watch must be at least 50% charged to install WatchOS (the latest version).
Moreover, it would help to connect Apple Watch to the magnetic charger before installing the software update.
Your watch won’t start the update most of the time before you put it on the charger.
Keep iPhone & Apple Watch Near to Each Other
Your paired iPhone must be in range with your Apple Watch. In addition, the Apple Watch should be connected to your iPhone to install the latest WatchOS.
If the distance goes beyond 20 feet, you will instantly face the Apple Watch stuck issue.
Moreover, make sure that there is no concrete barrier between the two devices. That also inhibits connectivity between the two iOS devices.
Delete WatchOS Update File
If your Apple Watch is stuck on verifying screen or during the update, it’s because the update file has gone corrupt.
So, you have to delete the update file from the Apple Watch. But how?
For that, you need to go to the Watch app on your iPhone and delete the WatchOS file.
iPhone’s Watch App
- Launch iPhone’s Watch app.
- In the Watch app, go to General > tap Usage > tap Software Update.
- Tap Delete. That will remove the update file of WatchOS.
- Now again, select the General tab > tap Software Update > tap Download & Install.
You can also delete the update file from the Apple Watch.
- Use the Digital Crown button to open Settings.
- Go to Usage > tap Software Update.
- Tap Delete. That will remove the update files of WatchOS.
By doing that, the Apple Watch will download a fresh update. That way, the Apple Watch stuck on update issue might get resolved.
However, there are other solutions that you can try as well.
Restart Your iPhone & Apple Watch
You might still face the WatchOS updates stuck on verifying, downloading, or installing phase. Therefore, try restarting both, the iPhone and the Apple Watch.
Restart Your iPhone
- On the paired iPhone, press and hold the Power Button.
- When the Power icon slider appears, drag the slider to turn off your iPhone.
- You can also power off your iPhone from the Settings app > General > Shut Down.
- Slide the power icon on the right to “slide to power off.”
- Now, wait for at least 30 seconds.
- After that, keep pressing the power button to restart your iPhone.
Restart Your Apple Watch
Before doing this, make sure the Apple Watch has not started the update installation process.
Skip this method if the software update is in the installation phase.
- Keep pressing the side button on your watch and gently slide the Power icon to the right. That will turn off your Watch.
- Now, wait for at least 30 seconds. After that, press the button on the side and hold it to turn on your Apple Watch.
If you can’t install the latest WatchOS for the Apple Watch, check if it has enough storage space.
Clear-Out Storage Space on Your Apple Watch
If you believe that your Apple Watch has not enough space, try removing some apps or media files.
- Press the Digital Crown button. You will land on the home page.
- In the grid view, keep pressing the app you want to remove. The screen will shake, and you will see the “X” icon.
- Tap the “X” icon to remove the app.
It’s also possible that the Apple Watch has enough space, but the Watch app is interfering with the WatchOS installation. Therefore, let’s deal with the Watch app.
Force Quit the Watch App on Your iPhone
- On your iPhone, swipe up from the bottom to open App Switcher. If your iPhone has Touch ID enabled, double-press the Home Button.
- Keep pressing the Watch card. Once you select the Watch app, drag it to the top of the screen to force quit it.
- Now tap the Watch app icon on the Home screen to re-launch it.
This fix might open the update screen from where it was left. However, you can also force restart your Apple Watch.
Fix Apple Watch Stuck by Restarting The Apple Watch – Forcefully
To do that:
- On the Apple Watch, press & hold the side buttons simultaneously until Apple’s logo appears. That will power off the Apple Watch.
- Now wait for 10 seconds and press & hold the two buttons. Release when you see the logo again.
After force restarting Apple Watch, you can also try unpairing the Apple Watch by following these steps.
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
- Go to the My Watch tab.
- On the top-right corner, there’s an info icon. Tap that icon.
- Now, tap “Unpair Apple Watch.”
- Once you unpair the Watch, your iPhone will detect your watch again.
- Select the Apple Watch to re-pair it again.
After applying this fix, you are supposed to install the WatchOS without facing any issues.
It’s not a big problem that the Apple Watch is stuck on verifying or installing a screen for the WatchOS update. However, there’s still a chance that you will face a similar issue.
These issues persist because of the system’s internal bugs. Besides, if you have installed third-party apps on your Apple Watch, they might also disrupt the WatchOS version update.
Therefore, if these solutions don’t help you, contact Apple support. The Apple support team will surely help you by sending a plausible set of solutions.
Besides, you can go to the local Apple store and let them fix the Apple Watch update stuck issue.