Since the Apple Watch doesn’t allow third-party apps to change its watch faces, it can be pretty tricky to customize the gadget to your liking. However, it does come with native faces that you can customize to fit your preferred aesthetic.
The variety of watch faces on the Apple Watch are endless, ranging from popular pop culture characters to the iconic Memoji. If you’re a more laid-back person with sophisticated taste, you’ll also find simple, and to-the-point watch faces in the library.
No matter what your preferences are, it’s good to know you don’t have to stick to the default Apple Watch face for the rest of the gadget’s life. Changing things up now and then will help you explore all the customization features of your Apple Watch.
Keep reading to find out how you can change and customize watch faces on your watch.
How to Change the Watch Face on the iPhone
Here’s how you can use the Watch App to change the Apple Watch face:
- First, you have to tap on the Watch App on your iPhone.
- Next, look for the Face Gallery tab at the bottom of the screen and select it.
- Then, select the new watch face you want to change your current face to.
- You’ll notice that the Apple Watch faces are organized alphabetically, but any new releases will show up at the top.
- Each collection has a variety in terms of style that you can choose from and customize.
- Once you’ve edited the new face according to your liking, tap Add on the top of the screen.
- Now that this is your active watch face, you can check the My Watch section to look at all the watch faces in your collection.
How to Edit an Existing Apple Watch Face on the iPhone
Every watch face on your Apple Watch comes with different complications that you can customize. With some watch faces, you’ll even be able to alter the color and type of dial.
If you’re wondering what “Complications” are, they depend on your installed native or third-party apps. That includes weather, fitness, sports, calendar, and more. A great example is the Solar Dial face, which is primarily a moving sundial depending on the time of day.
A remarkable feature of this watch face is that you can see where the sun is heading when you turn the Digital Crown. This watch face also includes four complications that you can customize.
Another classic watch face example is the Numerals Duo face, which has a simple and minimalistic design. Although there are no complications on this watch face, you’ll be able to change colors, fonts, and techniques.
Here’s how you can edit an existing Apple watch face using your iPhone:
- First, open the Watch App on your iPhone.
- Next, select My Faces under the My Watch tab before choosing the desired watch face you want to customize.
- You can make changes as you like, such as the dial type, color, design, font, complications, and other features.
- When you’re done editing the watch face, scroll down and tap Set as Current Watch Face.
How to Delete an Apple Watch Face on the iPhone
Here’s how you can delete an Apple watch face using your iPhone Watch App:
- First, open the Watch App on your iPhone.
- Next, select My Faces under the My Watch tab and select Edit.
- Next, go to the specific watch face you want to delete and tap on the red dash Remove icon.
- Then, tap Remove or Delete.
How to Set a Photo as a Watch Face on the Watch App
Did you know you can also use a personal image to create your watch face? Here’s how you can set a photo as a watch face using your iPhone’s Watch app:
- Open the Photos app on your device and look through the photo album to select the photo you want.
- Tap on the Share button at the bottom of the screen.
- Then, tap on the Create Watch Face option.
- Now, you can either pick Photo Watch Face or Kaleidoscope when it comes to style and layout.
- Tap Customize and alter the available complications (weather, heart rate, etc.) however you like.
- When you’re done editing, tap on the Add button.
How to Add a New Face to the Watch App
If you don’t want to use your iPhone to add, change, or remove watch faces on your Apple Watch, you can use your Apple Watch directly. Here’s how you can add a new watch face using your Apple Watch:
- First, you have to press the Digital Crown once to get to the Apple watch face of your choice.
- Then, it would help if you press firmly on the watch face.
- After scrolling to the right, you can tap the + icon on the New page.
- Use the Digital Crown to scroll the available Apple watch faces and find the watch face you want.
- Finally, tap on the watch face you want to use.
How to Change the Face of the Apple Watch
Here’s how you can customize Watch faces using your Apple Watch:
- First, press the Digital Crown once to find your watch face.
- Now, swipe left or right using your fingers to navigate the other Apple watch faces.
- Then, select the watch face you want and tap Add to make it your current watch face.
Here’s how you can edit a watch face using the Apple Watch:
- Swipe to the watch face that you want.
- A long press on the watch face will lead you to the customization mode. If you want to look through more watch faces, you can swipe left or right.
- Then, tap Edit or Customize the watch face.
- Swipe left or right to select options for the watch face, including the colors and complications.
- Then, you can use the Digital Crown to adjust the settings on this watch face.
- After editing, tap on the Digital Crown once more to confirm the edits.
How to Delete a Face on the Apple Watch
Here’s how you can delete watch faces using your Apple Watch:
- Press the Digital Crown once to find your watch face.
- Next, swipe left or right to look through the available watch faces.
- Finally, swipe up on the face watch you want to delete or remove.
- Tap the Remove icon to delete the watch face.
How to Set a Photo as a Watch Face on the Apple Watch
Here’s how you can customize the face on your Apple Watch using an image:
- First, press the Digital Crown to access the watch face.
- Swipe left or right to look through other watch faces and add a new beginning.
- Tap on it to access more options.
- Swipe down to find the Photos option before you tap on it.
- Every time you raise your wrist, a different photo will show up from your album.
- If you want to select a certain photo album, then open the Watch App on your phone. Then, open Face Gallery.
- From Face Gallery, look for Photos and choose the album you like before you customize the watch face.
- Tap on Add to finish the process. Now you can find all the watch faces you create in the My Faces section.
The range of available watch faces on the Apple Watch is versatile and endless. With the introduction of watchOS 6, you’ll be able to enjoy even more Apple Watch faces to customize your gadget down to the minute details.