Have you ever wondered why your iPhone a be slowing down after a recent update? One possible reason for this is an issue with your phone’s memory. Or perhaps your device is crashing due to other unknown reasons.
Regardless it would help if you boosted your iPhone speed. But how?
The solution is simple. It would help if you refreshed your iPhone. Restarting your device will automatically clear the Random Access Memory or RAM.
In addition, you can benefit from many other useful tricks to refresh your phone.
Read this article to learn how to clear your iPhone memory without rebooting your iPhone 8, iPhone X, or earlier models.
How to Refresh iPhone Random Access Memory?
If you restart your phone, you can clear your iPhone memory. As a result, when your phone is powered on and off, it may run smoothly and process more efficiently. In addition, it can solve your app crashing problems and prevent other issues causing your iPhone to lag.
You can reboot your iPhone following these methods:
Steps to Shut Down Screen in iPhone 7 and Earlier Models
- Keep your iPhone unlocked, and press and hold the side button. You may also refer to this button as the wake or sleep button; however, if you have an older iPhone. This refresh button may be on your left side.
- Wait for a pop-up to appear requesting you to move the slider. In addition, you may also see a cancel button at your screen’s bottom.
- Release the sleep or wake button.
- Now, press and hold the Home button so your iPhone returns to the Home screen.
- Release the Home button.
- Please navigate to the app crashing and relaunch it.
- Check if the speed and time response has improved.
Note: If your iOS device continues crashing, you may try a complete restart. For this, follow these steps:
- Keep holding the wake or sleep button down.
- Swipe the power button to power off your iPhone
- Press and hold the wake/sleep button to restart your device.
Refresh iPhone 8 and X from Home Screen
While launching the iPhone X, Apple removed the signature Home button at the screen’s center in iPhone models. Therefore, the above restarting method won’t work for iPhone X.
For this purpose, you can follow these instructions:
- First, navigate to the Settings app.
- Go to General.
- Tap on Accessibility.
- Select the Assistive touch button.
- Toggle the switch to enable Assistive touch.
- You will see a white and gray button appear on your screen. However, you can not capture the button in screenshots.
- Navigate to the General page in the app for Settings
- Scroll down your screen to reach the bottom of your iPhone’s main menu.
- Choose the option to Shut down the screen.
- A pop-up screen should appear now, requesting you to power off the phone. Slide the power button and ignore the Cancel button at your screen’s bottom.
- Press the button for Assistive touch
- Double-Tap Home button on your screen
- Please wait for your iPhone to return to its Home screen.
Other Ways to Boost Your Crashing Phone Performance
You can refresh your iPhone to increase its performance. However, if your iOS device runs slowly, you may have a hidden problem other than a draining battery.
Therefore, you can consider changing your iPhone settings. In addition, this trick can be helpful for earlier iPhone models such as iPhone 4 or 5. Here, have a look:
Turn Off Background App Refresh
Background App Refresh is a leading reason for slowing down your mobile. That’s because it consumes a lot of memory for refreshing apps working iPhone’s background. In addition, this feature also depletes the battery life of your iPhone.
However, you may need to enable this feature for some apps that pair with your Apple Watch or other fitness wearables. But the good news is that you selectively disable background app refresh for specific apps. You can follow these instructions to turn off this feature on your iPad or iPhone:
Next, you can follow these instructions to turn off this feature altogether on your iPad or iPhone:
- First, navigate to the Settings app.
- Select General.
- Tap on the background app to refresh.
- To disable the feature altogether, toggle off the switch.
If your want to keep this feature enabled for a few apps, follow these steps:
- First, keep the option enabled for Background App Refresh.
- Next, navigate to the apps list below the feature.
- Choose the apps you need to refresh and leave the feature enabled.
- Finally, toggle off the option for all other apps that do not require the function.
This method can come in handy for many fitness freaks. For instance, if you need to refresh your Fitbit app in the iPhone background to keep your data updated. However, you may not find it necessary to refresh Safari, Facebook, or other extra applications when not in use.
Enable Reduce Motion to Disable Animations
iPhone devices have minimal animations that harmonize to create smooth transitions from one page to another. However, you may not notice them while navigating your device. But, if you enable the option for Reduce motion. This option disabled your iPhone animations.
Although many people prefer to keep their animations and avoid enabling Reduce Motion, you can turn it on to use less iPhone memory. In addition, it can also increase your device’s battery life for performing its day-to-day tasks.
You can follow these instructions to disable animations on your iPad or iPhone:
- First, go to the Settings app.
- Navigate to General.
- Tap on Accessibility.
- Click on Reduce Motion.
- Toggle the option for Reduce Motion to enable it.
Erase Your iMessages
Old messages with heavy attachments waste a surprising amount of memory on your iPhone. In addition, if you exchange a lot of gifs, videos, photos, or lengthy texts frequently with family and friends, your memory space fills up even more quickly.
That’s why you should empty your iMessage regularly to clear the clutter. But unfortunately, not everyone can remember to delete their texts once a month. Fortunately, you don’t need to worry about deleting your messages. This is because you automate this task from your iPhone settings.
Have a look at these steps to automatically delete your older messages ranging from 30 days to a full year:
- Navigate to iPhone Settings.
- Select Messages.
- Choose the option for Keep Messages under the Message History.
- Select an option from the list showing 30 days, one year, or forever.
- To speed up your slow iPhone, you can prefer to choose the option 30 days.
However, you must remember that if you choose the 30-day option, you won’t be able to look at messages older than that. So, it would help if you took the time to select a suitable setting.
A slow or freezing iPhone can irritate anyone. It keeps you from finishing your tasks efficiently and causes the browser to crash. Therefore, you can restart your phone to eliminate memory problems. In addition, however, you can follow several valuable tips to boost your iPhone performance.
Of course, these may also include deleting old messages and reducing animations. However, if you continue to experience apps crashing, you should contact Apple support to fix the error professionally. However, you can follow these tricks for refreshing your Android phone too.