Carrier settings updates for iPhone and iPad are network connectivity updates from companies like T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. These updates are different from your regular Apple iOS update and are directly controlled by your network provider.
Therefore, updating your iOS device won’t automatically update the carrier settings. For this purpose, you may need to download the latest carrier settings update manually.
So, if you’re curious about how to update carrier settings for your cellular network, read this post.
Table of Contents
When Do I Receive an iPhone Carrier Settings Update?
Your iPhone or iPad can receive new carrier updates when connected to the mobile data network or Wi-Fi. In addition, most updates are accessible when your carrier company fixes bugs or adds new services, such as Wi-Fi calling.
When such updates are available, your network company will send you alerts to notify you about the network connectivity updates. These prompts usually appear like pop messages saying, “Carrier Settings Update: You have New settings available.”
How Can I Check My iPhone for Carrier Updates?
Since there is no button to download the latest carrier settings update, you must follow a few easy steps.
Here is how you can check for carrier settings updates on your iPhone:
- Tap Settings on your iPhone or iPad.
- Go to General.
- Tap on About.
If an update is available on your device, you will see a pop-up message appear on your screen. The prompt will ask if you wish to update your iPhone or iPad carrier settings.
In contrast, if no pop-up message appears on your iOS device, no new carrier settings updates are available on your phone.
What are Carrier Settings Updates?
When you get a notification on your iPhone that reads “Carrier Settings Update,” it means your mobile operator like AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon has published the latest carrier settings for your device.
The update is usually sent to increase your network connectivity via the wireless carrier. You can identify the update through messages like Verizon Carrier Update.
Why Should I Update Carrier Settings on iPad or iPhone?
You should manually update carrier settings when an update is available. Your network carrier designs these updates to improve its cellular services. In addition, carrier updates are essential to keep your network compatible with your iPhone.
Moreover, network providers introduce new features like Wi-Fi calling, video calling, or voicemail via their updates. They also strive to fix glitches and software bugs that may cause your iPhone to disconnect or experience connectivity issues.
So, if you ignore an update, your iPhone may be unable to connect and have trouble calling or messaging.
How Can I Check if My Device Carrier Settings are Updated?
If you update carrier settings and are unsure if the settings are installed, you should follow these steps:
- Switch off your iPhone by pressing your iPhone or iPad power button until you see the slider. This option will contain a power icon in red color. You may swipe this icon from left side to right. Your phone will now shut down.
- Allow your iPhone to rest for nearly 30 seconds.
- Press and hold the power button to restart your iPhone till you see the Apple logo appear in the center of your iPhone screen.
- Navigate to the Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Go to About.
- Check to see a notification on your iPhone display saying that you have updates available for carrier settings. If the alert does not appear, you can rest assured that your settings have been updated.
Steps to Manually Update Carrier Settings
Your iPhone will not automatically update your carrier settings. Therefore you need to update carrier settings manually. However, the process for updating the iPhone settings is pretty simple.
All you have to do is follow these simple steps.
- Firstly, ensure that your iOS device is connected to a reliable Wi-Fi network. Alternatively, you can enable personal hotspots on your Apple device.
- On your iPhone or iPad, tap the Settings app.
- Select the menu for General settings on your iPhone.
- Go to About.
- If a carrier update is available on your iPhone, an alert pop-up will appear on your screen.
- Now, you can tap Update to start the updating process.
Is a Carrier Settings Update Safe?
Yes, updating your carrier settings is entirely safe. In addition, you need to update your settings to enjoy the technological enhancements your cellular provider offers.
But, many iPhone users wonder if it might affect their phone’s performance. However, they should know that updating their carrier settings will not slow down their device.
You might miss out on many opportunities if you do not download the carrier settings update addition; updating your carrier settings after every new update can unlock several unique features.
How Can I Manually Update Carrier Settings with iTunes?
You can update your carrier settings on your iPhone with iTunes. However, to update your carrier settings with iTunes, you must ensure that your iTunes is up to date.
For this purpose, you can follow these simple steps:
- First, connect your iPhone to a laptop or computer using an ethernet or USB cable.
- Connect your computer to a stable Wi-Fi connection.
- Allow a few moments to pass and check if any pop-up appears for an iPhone carrier update. The prompt will also ask if you want to download the update immediately.
- Select the option for download and update.
- Once done, you can wait a few minutes and allow the process to finish. That’s because downloading carrier updates do not take as long as downloading iOS software updates.
However, if you do not see any alert with a message for available updates, the carrier settings for your iPhone may be updated to the latest version.
How to Troubleshoot a Failed Cellular Network Update?
If your cellular network update has failed, your iPhone will be unable to receive or make calls. In addition, you cannot access cellular data on your iOS device.
Therefore you should troubleshoot the issue as soon as possible to receive calls on your phone. You can follow these steps to resolve the failed cellular update:
- Check if your iPhone has Airplane mode enabled. Navigate to your iPhone settings and toggle the option for Airplane mode on and then off
- Toggle your cellular data off and then on
- Recheck for available carrier settings on your iPhone
- Update your iOS device to the latest version
- Update your Apple device firmware
- Remove your sim card from the phone. Re-insert your sim.
- Insert a new SIM card
- Close all running apps
- Restart your phone
- Reset the settings for your phone network
- Enable the DFU mode on your iPhone
- Contact Apple support
- Contact your wireless carrier
You should update your network when a settings update is available to enjoy the new technology and services offered by your cellular provider. However, if you ignore these updates, your iPhone devices may seem to cause errors.
In addition, you may be unable to enjoy messaging or calling your loved ones from your iPhone. So, you must install and update carrier settings to keep your iPhone from causing trouble.