Sharing a Wi-Fi password is easy until you have set it too complex to tell verbally. Also, there are security reasons for not sharing the password of your home Wi-Fi network with everyone. So, follow this guide if you want to share your Wi-Fi password via iPhone, especially with an Android user.
Besides, Wi-Fi password sharing between an iPhone or Android device is possible due to recent OS updates. It’s also an excellent option to save your guests’ mobile data usage.
Table of Contents
How Do I Give My iPhone a Wi-Fi Password to Share?
First, your iOS device must be connected to a WiFi connection. When you connect to a wireless network, your iPhone has its password.
So, you can only share a Wi-Fi password if you are connected to that network.
Now follow these steps on the device that needs the Wi-Fi password.
- Go to App Libraries and tap Settings.
- Tap Wi-Fi.
- Select the network you want to connect to.
- On the connected device, tap “Share Password.”
You will instantly connect to the Wi-Fi network.
How Can You Share Wi-Fi Password on Android Device from iPhone?
If you have an iPhone and want to share your Wi-Fi password with an Android device, you must get help from a third-party QR code generator app.
The difference in the operating systems doesn’t allow you to share a Wi-Fi password from an Apple device to an Android device.
Therefore, let’s discuss what code generator you want to complete the process.
Code Generator for iPhone
A QR code generator app is what you want for your iPhone. This app creates a QR code for your Wi-Fi network. Also, you can read this code from a dedicated QR scanner app on your Android device.
Therefore, follow these steps to share Wi-Fi passwords from iPhone to Android.
- Go to Apple Store.
- Search for Visual Codes App in the search bar (you can try any other QR code generator app for your iPhone.)
- Download and install the app.
- After that, launch the Visual Codes app.
- Tap Add Codes. You will see multiple options.
- Choose the Connect to Wi-Fi option.
- Now, note the network’s Wi-Fi settings, including network name (SSID), WiFi password, and WiFi security.
- Enter the Wi-Fi network’s name in the Name field and password in the Password field.
- Also, select the security type from Security. The default security is WPA.
- Now, type a new Wi-Fi name in the label name. It should be easily recognizable.
- After that, tap Create Code. The generated QR code for your Wi-Fi network will be displayed with other QR codes you created for other WiFi networks.
Scan QR Code from Android Phone
Instead of manually entering the password, you have to scan the QR code you generated on your iPhone to connect to the WiFi network.
For that, follow these steps:
- Open a QR code reading app on your Android smartphone. Besides, newer Android phones have a QR code reader in the default Camera app. So you can try using the Camera app to read the code without downloading any QR scanning app from Google Play Store.
- Now, place the iPhone in front of the Android phone. Make sure the QR code of the Wi-Fi network is displayed on the screen.
- Scan that code using your Android phone.
- Tap Connect Automatically when you get a notification on the receiving Android device to confirm the network connection.
- After that, your Android smartphone will connect to the WiFi network.
Once you successfully connect to the Wi-Fi network, you can share the Wi-Fi password with other Android devices using the same method. However, that’s only applicable if you want to connect to the same network.
You can even share passwords of multiple Wi-Fi networks with different
Now, let’s see how to share WiFi passwords from one Apple device to another.
How Can I Share Wi-Fi from My iPhone to iPhone?
Sharing a Wi-Fi password from iPhone to iPhone is more accessible than with other OS. But, you must ensure that both Apple devices have installed the latest iOS version.
Therefore, follow these steps to update your iOS devices before sharing the Wi-Fi passwords.
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to General.
- Tap Software Update. On this page, you will see if any software updates are available.
- Tap Download and Install to get the latest iOS version.
If you don’t have the latest version on both devices, you might not be able to share Wi-Fi passwords. Moreover, ensure WiFi and Bluetooth are also working on both devices.
Also, get the Apple ID of the other device if it’s not yours. You have to save both IDs in the contacts list of both iPhones.
If both iPhones are logged in with the same Apple ID, you don’t have to add the IDs to the contacts list.
The process is almost similar to sending files via a Bluetooth connection.
Therefore, follow these steps to share the Wi-Fi password from one iPhone to another.
- Launch Settings.
- Tap Wi-Fi.
- Choose the desired Wi-Fi network’s SSID.
- After the device is connected to the Wi-Fi network, it’s time to share the password.
- Once you have connected to the wireless network, your iPhone will show a notification of “Share Your Wi-Fi Password.”
- Tap “Share Password” or “Send Password.”
- Once you tap that button, your iPhone will share the password with the receiving iPhone.
- Tap Done once the password sharing is complete.
How Can I Send Wi-Fi Password from Mac to iPhone?
You can share your Wi-Fi password from your Mac to an iPhone. Since Apple manufactures both devices, sharing the password with other manufacturers’ devices is more accessible.
Now, you must ensure that you connect to the same network your Mac is connected to.
For that, check the Wi-Fi network name on your Mac by clicking the WiFi information icon on the right side of the menu bar.
After confirming the network’s SSID, follow these steps:
- First, put your iPhone next to your Mac.
- Now turn on Wi-Fi.
- Select the WiFi network your Mac is connected to.
- Once you select the Wi-Fi network, you will receive a notification on your Mac. That’s your iPhone requesting the WiFi password of that network.
- Now, click the “Share” button. Your iPhone will connect to Wi-Fi.
Can I Share the Password of My Wi-Fi Network to Different OS Devices?
Yes. You can share the password of your Wi-Fi network to devices having different OS with the help of QR codes.
Can I Change Settings of My Wi-Fi Network Using Another Device?
To change Wi-Fi settings, you must have the admin credentials to log in to the wireless router’s configuration panel. Again, it doesn’t matter what device you use.
Why Can’t I Share Wi-Fi Password?
Check the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connections are turned on. Also, turn off the Wi-Fi hotspot.
If you share passwords from iPhone to iPhone with different iCloud accounts, first save the ID in your and other person’s contacts list.
Share Wi-Fi passwords from iPhone to Android using a QR code. Also, you can create different codes for multiple Wi-Fi networks and save them for future use. That’s a secure password-sharing method for your Wi-Fi.